BLAIR, NEBRASKA (October 25, 2023) – Erika Moreno has been quietly making a name for herself with her exquisite home baking business, BB Cakes. A single mom of four, and full-time Compliance specialist, Erika’s story is one of passion, resilience, and the magic that happens when you blend creativity with a sprinkle of love.
From a tender age, Erika found her haven in the kitchen, inspired by a unique arrangement with her father. “When growing up, my dad would tell me I didn’t have to do chores if I baked a pie. I grew up baking a ton of pies,” she warmly recalls. It was this early love for baking that laid the foundation for her future endeavors.
Transitioning from pies to cheesecakes at 17, Erika found her true calling. “I switched to cheesecakes when I was 17. My neighbor lady, mom to Eric Crouch (the former University of Nebraska quarterback who won the Heisman Trophy in 2001), brought up the idea of selling as she did so at the time. It planted a seed in my mind,” she reflects. It was a pivotal moment that would set the stage for her future business.
Her artistic talent, once recognized by winning a drawing competition in high school, has found a new canvas in her cheesecakes. “My artistic expression really sprung to life when I started making cheesecakes. Colors and taste do actually compliment each other. I see them as a way to express what I envision the taste to look like,” Erika passionately shares.
Choosing a different path, Erika turned away from art school, a decision that reflects her practical and determined nature. “I gave up the scholarship because at the time I had no desire to pursue an artistic career. I was more motivated by Science, and worked towards a degree in Biology,” she candidly admits. Yet, her artistic side has found its home in her baking.
Erika’s journey as a single mom is a testament to her strength and determination. “Being a single mom of four has been a logistical challenge, but it has been met with so many rewards. I work sometimes 50 to 60 hours a week in my full-time job, attend every event for my kids, and my baking serves as a creative outlet,” she shares, highlighting her unwavering commitment to her family and her craft.
In the kitchen, Erika finds a sanctuary, especially when worries about her children surface. “My son is currently deployed on the USS Gerald Ford. I channel my worries through my baking. It calms my nerves and provides a creative outlet,” she opens up, showing the depth of her love and concern for her family.
Erika’s vision for her business is clear and full of ambition. “My dream is to open a little bakery and coffee shop. I want to create a place where people can enjoy a slice and coffee, and order for special occasions. I am also aspiring to create a multi-layered wedding cheesecake,” she excitedly shares.
Reflecting on her first baking challenge, Erika reveals her growth and self-realization. “My first cheesecake was a challenge. I had to redo it three times. But it taught me to trust the process, and when I finally got it right, the glowing reviews made me realize I wanted to pursue this as a business,” she recounts.
Erika sees her role in the community as more than just a baker; she’s a beacon of inspiration and support. “Blair has been so welcoming. My friends have been my biggest supporters, encouraging me to keep baking and even to open my own shop. I see myself as an inspiration for those who have a dream, showing that the next step is always in front of you,” she gratefully acknowledges.
When it comes to indulging in baked goods, there’s something uniquely charming and infinitely more personal about purchasing from a local baker like Erika Moreno. Erika is a prime example of why supporting cottage food businesses is a decision that benefits not just your taste buds, but your community and local economy as well.
Here are five compelling reasons to choose Erika for your next sweet treat or celebratory cake.
- Unparalleled Quality and Freshness: When you buy from a local baker operating under cottage food laws, you are guaranteed a product that hasn’t been sitting on a supermarket shelf for an unknown length of time. Local bakers take immense pride in their work, ensuring each creation is as fresh and delicious as can be.
- Personalized Customer Service: Choosing a local baker means receiving a level of customer service that is personalized and attentive. This personal touch extends to the ability to customize orders to meet specific needs or preferences, something often not possible with larger, commercial bakeries.
- Supporting Local Economy and Community: By purchasing from a cottage food business like Erika’s, you’re directly contributing to the local economy and helping to support a fellow community member. This circulation of money within the community helps to strengthen local bonds and economic stability.
- Unique and Innovative Flavors: Local bakers are often more experimental and open to trying out new recipes and flavor combinations. This willingness to innovate results in a wider variety of options and more unique, mouth-watering creations.
- Transparent and Trustworthy Practices: Buying from a local baker operating under cottage food laws ensures transparency in food preparation practices. This level of trustworthiness and transparency is invaluable, particularly when it comes to food products.
When you support local bakers like Erika Moreno, your choice benefits not just your taste buds, but also the local economy, community bonds, and the variety and quality of available baked goods. It’s a sweet deal that feels just as good as it tastes.
In Erika Moreno, Blair has a master baker, woman of strength, loving mother, and community-builder. Her cheesecakes are more than just desserts; they are a testament to her journey, her passion, and her unwavering belief in following one’s dreams and working hard. In every bite, you can taste the love, the creativity, and the heart of a woman dedicated to her family, her craft, and her community.